Gardenia jasminoides - representative of the family Rubiaceae.
Gardeners like it flowers because of its aroma and long flowering.
Each variety can bloom at different times of the year.
The name “Gardenia jasminoides” it got through to approximate the smell of jasmine flower.
Homeland Gardenia jasmine is China, but the flower can be found in India, Taiwan and Japan.
In cool climates Gardenia jasminoides is grown in greenhouses and conservatories.
You need to create appropriate conditions for the flower at home.
The bush is very demanding to leave. Rotate the pot around the axis during ripening can lead to dropping of flower buds.
Description of the plant
This ornamental flowering shrub which grows up to 6.5 ft. (2 m) in a natural environment.
It prefers shaded but well lighted areas with acidic soil composition.
Gardeners make the good drainage to remove moisture.
Gardenia grows at an altitude of 656 - 1600 ft. (200- 500 m) above sea level.
Its height in room conditions does not exceed 1.6-2 ft. (50-60 cm).
The leaves are smooth, monochromatic green and dark green, glossy, lanceolate, with pointed at base, 8-10 cm long. The shoots are smooth.
The flowers are solitary in the leaf axils but sometimes it can be collected in the inflorescence of 3-5 flowers at the tips of young shoots.
Gardenia Jasmine has a hard-core flowers white or cream color. Flowering is often runs from July to October, but everything depends on the type and conditions of the premises.
Varieties of gardenia jasmine
Gardeners for a long period of cultivated many varieties of the flower, among which the most popular are listed below.
- Chuck Hayes - up to 2 m with double flowers of cream color. Not bad feeling at low temperatures. It blooms all summer long.
- Beauty - blooms from summer to mid-autumn. The flowers are large and white, it is frequently used in horticulture.
- Amy - the leaves are dark green and double flowers of 10-12 cm. The flowers provide a refined appearance. It can blossom 2 times per year, in the winter, and since the middle of summer.
- Mystery - the height of 1.7 - 2 meters. The plant with large dark green leaves. The flowers are double to 14 cm. It blooms twice a year.
- Belmont - among gardeners is popular because it is resistant to low temperatures and disease. The leaves are large and of round shape. Flowers are up to 10 cm in length and have a very pleasant aroma.
- Radicans - the bush height of 0.6 - 1 m and a width of up to 1.5 m. The leaves are small, are covered with glitter. The flowers are double, 3 - 4 cm. It is often used as bonsai. It blooms from mid-summer to late autumn.
- Golden Magic - a long period of bloom. The flowers are of different color.
- Variegates - a medium-sized shrub to 1 m in height. The leaves are colorful and fragrant flowers, the size of 6 - 8 cm. It is well adapted to grow indoors. Grown in pots.
Gardenia jasminoides basic Care
Gardenia Jasmine prefers bright ambient light. On the south side at lunch time you should overshadow direct sunlight. The plant prefers location on the south-west or south-east.
In winter gardenia needs additional lighting with fluorescent lamps. If the lighting is insufficient flowering will not start.
Flower in the summer with warm climates is moved outdoors in partial shade. You need to spray the flower in the morning and evening, in hot weather.
The pot cannot be rotated at the time the flower buds. It can lose all the flowers if you change the lighting. You must protect the flower from the sediment and draught.
The optimal temperature during the hot period of the year is 21-24 ° C. The temperature is slowly reduced to 18-20 ° C beginning in the autumn. The temperature is lowered to 15-18 ° C in order to compensate for the lack of light in winter and reduce the depletion of the flower.
Gardenia jasminoides can carry safely on the short-term drop in temperature to 10 ° C. High temperature leading to abscission of buds in winter. You need to add artificial lighting.
Gardeners need to create a high or moderate humidity. Low humidity reduces flowering. The flowers will grow dim and small. To increase the moisture uses several methods.
You need to spray the plant in the morning and evening. The water should not fall on the ground and buds. Spraying is often stopped in the flowering period. The moisture which has got on the petal provokes the appearance of dark spots on the surface.
You should use warm water. The water temperature should be a few degrees above the habitat.
You can also put a pot on a tray of moistened pebbles or moss. Pot must not touch the liquid.
The composition of the soil
All kinds of jasmine gardenia is necessary an acidic or slightly acidic soil.
You can buy ready-made mixes for flowering ornamental plants (for example, azaleas), or make your own soil.
Ingredients: peat, sand, conifers and turf ground in equal quantities.
The substrate must be well to pass water and air. Over time the acidity decreases. You need to water the slightly acidic water to maintain the desired level of acidity.
Water is used for watering warm and defends. Gardenia jasminoides abundantly watered starting from spring to early autumn. It waters after drying the upper soil layer.
Watering significantly reduced from autumn to the beginning spring. The upper soil layer is maintained semi-dry for 2-3 days, then resume watering.
Use only the upper soil wetting (from the top of the pot). Water is not poured into the tray.
Use soft water for irrigation. The water was heated to boiling and then allowed to cool. The upper layer of water is poured into a separate container and is used for watering flowers. Use water ambient or higher by a few degrees.
To maintain the acidity (Ph) lemon juice is added to the ground (2-3 drops at 1 liter of water). Gardenia absorb and assimilate nutrients from the soil only when the acidic environment. For the bush is pernicious excessive watering or dry land.
Young plants are transplanted every year in early spring.
Adults are transplanted once in several years when the roots enveloped all around the ground in a pot.
Often the flower is not completely transplanted. It is enough to make handling with the addition of fresh, nutritious, acidic soil layer. Sometimes it is enough to change only the top layer.
Pruning a bush
Bush trim immediately after flowering if it had grown greatly. Branch cut off only half. It is often used as scion for propagation.
You have to cut off dried shoots thickly sprouted. The shoots pinch out the early spring to achieve the pomp of the bush.
Gardenia jasminoides with age loses abundant flowering and charm. The method of propagation is used to rejuvenate the plant. Escape cut off after flowering while pruning, or early spring before the appearance of the kidneys.
Stalk previously placed in a growth stimulator (weak solution of potassium permanganate) then planted in mix of sand and peat which taken in equal proportions. You have to take the stem length of 10-12 cm. Stalk can take root in water.
The capacity covered glass flask and regularly ventilate. Humidity is constantly maintained high. The stem abundantly watered and kept at a temperature of 24 degrees. A month later, the roots should appear. Lower heating is used to accelerate the growth.
A cutting is transplanted into the ground after the emergence of roots. The composition of the soil: take in equal amounts sand, peat, conifers and turf ground. All components are thoroughly mixed. Pre-drainage from the expanded clay is placed on the bottom of the pot. In the bottom of the pot should be a hole.
The plant is fed twice a month starting in spring and ending in August. You do not need to fertilize a month after the transplant.
You need to use fertilizer with an acidic base, which can be bought in the flower supermarket. Bush sprayed once a week with a weak solution of mineral-based.
You must maintain the soil in an acidic state, using different concentrations of fertilizer. In winter, fertilize flower when the leaves begin to turn yellow. Leaves sprayed from atomizer magnesium sulfate or iron.
Pests jasmine gardenia
Gardenia jasminoides as other varieties are often amazed scale insects, of aphids, mealy mealybug, spider mite.
We will help you solve the basic problems with the cultivation of bush Gardenia jasminoides.
There is no bloom. The reason - the high temperature and low humidity, or a shortage of light. You need to regularly spray the a bush, and put the pot on the trough where there is moistened pebbles or expanded clay. If you cannot lower the temperature then you have to extend daylight hours. Often use fluorescent lighting.
Flling flower buds. The main reason - the flower is very sensitive to swings in the external environment and violation of standards care.
The main causes of death of gardenia:
- Insufficient lighting
- It is sudden changes in temperature or lighting
- Probably was the turn of the pot around its axis or altered the habitat during the appearance of buds (This is often the case)
- Excessive watering or drying soil
- Humidity 50% or lower, if the temperature is too high
The flower is difficult to grow during budding. You do not must make quick action on change of habitat or microclimate.
The leaves begin to turn yellow - mode watering disturbed or inadequate feeding.
- A common cause is slightly acidic substratum. You need to increase the acidity. In water for irrigation to add 2-3 drops of lemon juice counting upon 1 liter.
- One of the causes yellowing of leaves: insufficient or excessive watering. Look for the top layer ground, watering only when it drying. The liquid should not remain in the tray.
- If the bush attacked insects - Use a commercially available means for spraying against pests.
- Sometimes the cause of the yellowing leaves may be hard water.
There are spots on the petals. When you sprayed the flower gets wet the surface of the petals. Gardenia jasminoides watered too cold or hard water.