Cacti are undemanding plants which is well tolerated dry climate. They are ideally suited for containing in the apartment because of to its small size.
Succulents - is a large segment of the plants which accumulate moisture in itself. Today, there are more than 150,000 species. Cacti constitute the main place among the succulents.
Succulents are heat-loving plants which grow in arid climates (desert and semi-desert with a tropical climate). There are epiphytic species that during the tropical rains are capable absorb in itself a lot of moisture. In during the drought it is normal itself feel for a long time without replenishment of water, and gradually it would spend the accumulated water in the tissues.
The family crassulaceae, aizoaceae, asclepiadaceae, agavoides and euphorbiaceae belong to succulents.
Almost all succulents are resistant to dry and hot climate, and is undemanding in the care. But they also have weaknesses. For cacti is extremely undesirable too abundant watering in the home. It is especially dangerous to water the cold water.
All succulent plants have a juicy and the powerful stem fleshy leaves which are often similar to thorns.
The leaf's surface is a small hence the evaporation of during the hot period is the minimum.
Most species of cacti are grown in home conditions because it is beautiful and unusual with a variety of flowering.
Each sort of cactus has a unique shape and color of flowers. However, some species have a very short duration of flowering, sometimes only for one night.
The basic rules for successful growth of cacti and succulents
For succulents is extremely dangerous abundant watering. They do not like frequent watering. The soil must dry out well. In the article for each type, we describe in detail about it.
- Cacti are watered is very rare during the cold season. The water is used distilled or rainy without the lime content. Gardeners are often used the lower watering. The plant is yourself absorbs the necessary amount of moisture.
- Choose the pots according to the sizes of the root or slightly tight for successful flowering.
- The composition of soil is important for successful growth of cacti. Clean sand is not suitable. You can buy prepared mix or make by yourself from the sand and soil for flowers. More information you will find in the articles to the plants. Be sure to add pea gravel (stones).
- If you use ready-made mixture from flower shops, you will need to add the compound from the sand debonder and charcoal. The total mixture is 30% of the total soil volume. Hole must be in the bottom of the pot.
- Drainage is filled on the bottom of the pot before transplanting. As the drainage is used expanded clay, a large crumb of red brick, or fine gravel. Earth is poured to the root collar, or begins the process of decay. The plant is placed for a few days in the shade and do not watered after transplanting.
- All succulents prefer bright light in large quantities.
- The temperature is significantly lowered and almost is stopped watering during the winter (in the dormant period). The soil is constantly maintained in a dry state.
- The cacti need constant revenues of fresh air to the active growth.
Universal soil composition for most of succulents. Soil with leaves 4 pieces, 4 parts sand, 1 part charcoal and baking powder (perlite or expanded clay) 1 part.
The soil is necessary steamed before landing that destroy the larvae and prevent the appearance of pests. You need to fry the sand.
The form of the cactus is the star of the correct form. It blooms from spring to autumn. The flowers are yellow. The flowering period is very short, just a few days. There are a large number of hybrid forms.
In summer, it is necessary to create a hot climate. The temperature in winter is greatly reduced. Astrophytum is easily adaptable to any climate. Cactus is propagated only by seed but they are easily take root.
For Astrophytums is very dangerous excessive watering. High humidity provokes the appearance of pests. There are kinds of with acute and soft spines.
Rebutia is a kind of cactus that grows in mountainous terrain in stony ground. The plant attracts attention its multicolored bloom and a globular stalk which surface is covered with spines. Rebutia cactus includes about 20 species with white, red, purple, pink and orange flowers. The plant need rare watering in summer and does not need watering during winter. You need to keep 25-35 degrees in summer and 5-10 degrees in winter if you grow Rebutia indoors. Otherwise, the cactus will not start to bloom. Care for Rebutia cactus is not difficult but sometimes it is attacked by a spider mite or root rot can appears.